In the unfortunate event of a bereavement you need to action the following:
- Immediately inform the United Synagogue Burial Society of the death on 020 8950 7767. Leave a voicemail if after hours.
- Immediately inform the Synagogue Office on 020 7722 1807. Leave a voicemail if after hours.
- Get a Death Certificate from the hospital or attending doctor.
- Hand in the death certificate at the Registrar of Births and Deaths for the Borough in which the death occurred. In return the Registrar will issue a Certificate of Authorisation for Burial.
- Inform the Burial Society that you have the Certificate. The Burial Society will then arrange for the deceased to be collected and prepared for burial.
The Synagogue will publicise the time of the funeral and the shiva details.
Our Rabbis’ and Rebbetzins’ will advise and assist and support in regard to the various arrangements.
If the deceased is not a member of the Funeral Expenses Scheme (FES) please speak to one of the Rabbinic team who will advise further.
For general information on bereavement see the United Synagogue.