We have now bid an emotional farewell to our much loved but now inadequate building, built in the 1960’s, which we have outgrown and has served our community well over the last 50 years. The building is being readied for demolition which will begin very soon.
We will be building a new, state of the art synagogue and community centre. Regular updates will be posted on this website.
The community will be off-site during this time and will utilise a variety of local facilities for prayer services, events and administration.
Our Vision – The Development
- We are building a new shul and community centre because our old, much loved building is no longer fit for purpose.
- The new building will provide an inspiring space for prayer, social action, leadership, learning and celebration.
- It will offer a platform on which to build strong Jewish identities and encourage involvement in the wider Jewish community.
- It will offer support and a home for our young, our youth, our singles, families and our elderly – Our current building cannot fulfil this.
- Facilities will be open to the wider Camden community, enabling South Hampstead to continue contributing to the social welfare needs of the Borough.
Third Floor – Two Service Flats.
Second Floor – Youth floor combining Cheder rooms, Children’s and Youth services’ facilities and Playgroup area.
First Floor – Main Synagogue area and Library.
Ground Floor – Reception, Offices, daily Synagogue, Display space, Community rooms and Refreshments area
Basement – New Hall and Kitchen, Subdivided to provide additional study areas and Community Rooms. Space has been allocated in preparation for a Mikveh.
Disclaimer: The external image of the new synagogue here is an artist impression of the design prepared some time ago. The current design includes certain changes that have been made to items including (but not limited to) the forecourt, certain materials, some window locations and the front door/lobby area. Please be aware that the images shown here are not computer generated or verified views and so no reliance should be placed upon them.
View the new South Hampstead Synagogue community building plans.
A place to pray & belong
- An inspirational Shul like no other.
- An inclusive space on one level and in the round.
- State of the art acoustics and good sightlines for all.
- The Shul has a similar capacity to our existing Shul.
- Retaining the informality of our existing Shul.
- A dedicated Library.
The space can also be used as an auditorium for seminars.
A place to grow
A dedicated and purpose built area for infants, children and youth will offer a base for younger members of the community.
- It will serve as a high quality facility for youth social and educational activities.
- Able to house our weekly services for children and youth of all ages and our Cheder.
A place to nurture & learn
- A welcome space with facilities to relax and meet friends.
- A space for the daily Minyan.
- A sub-dividable space for displays, education, Kiddush and general member interaction .
- Space for the Shul administration and Rabbinic office.
A place to connect
- A multipurpose space for members to celebrate within their own community.
- Audio-visual facilities will further encourage lectures, discussions and visits from prominent speakers.
- Flexible space can be subdivided for meetings, exercise and a variety of youth and community activities.
- It will also convert into an overflow synagogue for the high holy days.